Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Tale of Two Lists

There's a post in the works, I promise.

There are things I must do today, and there are things I will do today because I must. Today I must edit a paper, draft another, and go to class. Today I will go for a run, re-pot some herbs, play with my children, brush my dogs and finish the post I'm working on--because those are the things I must do, the things that give life substance.

Don't confuse the things on your to-do list with the things you really must to do. Bump a must-do item or two to tomorrow's list if that's what it takes to make room to laugh with a child, make pumpkin bread or plant some flowers--because that's the list from which you'll draw your memories when you're eighty or ninety or even forty five.

Go...play, read for pleasure, take a walk...then check back here later for a longer post. If you come back here before I do, leave a comment about what you did today--not from the must-do list, but from the do-because-you-must one. And if you make pumpkin bread, save me a slice. I'm on my last piece.

2 comments:

Tranquil Thunder said...

Not exactly what I did today, but here is a relevant dinosaur comic!

Catherine Wannabe said...

I went the "take a walk" route. I would love pumpkin bread, but considering all of the cake, ice cream and brownies I've eaten recently, I think I'd better stick to the walking.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin