Pages

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A Midterm Report

I'm interrupting the extended awkward silence with a word of explanation. I'm smack in the middle of one last, stiff dose of academia in the form of a month-long pair of summer classes that are as intense as they are swift. I'm holding my own, but suffering some pretty nasty side effects which include an inability to perform intellectually-based tasks outside of class.

In other news:

My recent publishing portfolio is so slim as to have called into question my ability to secure press credentials for an upcoming event I hoped to cover.

No word on the aforementioned art job at the desirable locale. I'm actually starting to think the whole notion was just a vivid dream.

These days, I don't read anything that isn't written in a dry, jargon-esque tone capable of inducing instant slumber.

I signed up for a summer painting class at the local art gallery.

I recently underwent the penultimate procedure in my staged hairstyle reconstruction plan

Summer can't get here soon enough.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog, I'm not sure what I was looking for before I stumbled onto yours but I'm glad I did. You have such a beautiful way of writing. I love it. It's witty, smart and charming at the same time.

All the best.

Helen

ballast photography said...

Helen, thanks so much! You made my day. I'm especially appreciative that you've stuck with me through the current dry spell :)

Jen said...

Hey.. I saw that Beth Moore's Break Free is on your corner shelf.. I love that book.. changed my life!!.. And if you ever get the chance to hear her speak I highly recommend it.. her personal tone in the books is exactly the way she sounds when she speaks.

Sarah Danielsen said...

I would hardly call "The Eight Components of Sheltered Instruction" and article written in a "dry, jargon-esque tone capable of inducing instant slumber." :)

ballast photography said...

Jen,
Mindy and I just discussed Breaking Free the other day. Unfortunately, we've both logged 2 failed attempts to get through the book. Mindy optimistically surmises that she will come to enjoy the book at a time when she is ready for it and will benefit most from it. I am currently less optimistic, as I just can't seem to connect with her (B.M., not Mindy).

And Sarah--I was totally stoked to see your comment--I got a good chuckle out of that, especially as I'm pretty much avoiding reading that very document as I type this...

Grace W. said...

Oh, absolutely! I especially like how you weave beautiful allusions into your writing. You turn journal writing into poetry. What first made me stop at your blog is the uncanny similarity b/w your blog design and mine. I thought I had ended up on my own blog at first. But no, it was another blog by another fabulous writer.

Helen

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin