Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Backwards is the New Forward

I believe in second chances, diamonds in the rough, and crushing lemons into lemonade.

I believe that things happen the way they’re supposed to, and lamenting about the path not taken is just a stall tactic that keeps you from logging mileage on the journey you chose.

I believe that missed opportunities were never yours to begin with, and thinking about what could have been just keeps you from recognizing what will be when it finally arrives.

I believe that the Air Force is right: perception is reality. I think Newton was wrong: when I’m gone, I’ll leave footprints to prove I was here.

I believe in celebrating victories like there is no tomorrow and mourning loss as though it meant something.

I believe that healing comes when you can laugh through your tears.

I believe in laughing at myself, because if I don’t someone else will and then it won’t be fun anymore.

I believe that words are powerful and the best writing happens when the author has no idea what comes next.

I believe in flying by the seat of my pants and that sporting rug burn is the only fashionable way to arrive late.

I believe that success is often calculated by taking what you wanted and subtracting what you got.

I believe in living my life story rather than counting its pages.

##

I don't remember writing this, or under what circumstances. In fact, I barely remember a time when I felt so confident about The State of Things. But according to Microsoft Word, I possessed the above clarity in May, 2003. I found this creed sans context in an unnamed file while searching for some seed material for an impending assignment. I bolded the font, printed it out, and posted it over my desk as a sort of Adventurer's Tip Sheet. I'm officially reclaiming this mindset from when I was younger, and, apparently wiser. For this adventurer, backwards appears to be my best path forward.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I may be able to jog your memory.. I don't know if you remember.. but that would have been around one month or less from when Mindy, Margaret, and I (along with a few others) graduated HS. And just a few months after that we left for College! Feels like a lifetime ago.

Unknown said...

Wow! Isn't that something to have stumbled upon. Excellent treatise my friend.

Willoughby said...

Fabulous! I'm so glad you found it and posted it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin