Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

One Line Wednesdays

Today I had a botched meet-up with a Dirty Chai, ran long and hard, and eventually turned myself in at the police station for fingerprinting.



Which may lead you to believe that it’s been a notable day, until I tell you that the events didn’t occur quite in that order and that the Dirty Chai was just a wonderful brew on which I missed out at my local coffee house, the run was just my morning loop around the neighborhood (which I’ll typically file underlong and hard) and that the fingerprinting was just the last of a tedious list of routine in-processing items required by my employer. But it kind of sounded pretty intense there for a moment, didn’t it?

The opening line came to me early on, and it cheered me considerably to be able to think about my average day in such epic terms. My first thought was that I might finally be ready to get on Twitter, a social networking feat of which I’ve largely considered myself incapable due to the required brevity. I find the prospect of consistently expressing my thoughts in an engaging manner using no more than 140 characters frankly intimidating. Because, let’s face it, no one really wants to read tweets about actual, real-time events in the spirit of: “teaching yellow and blue makes green today!’ or “fridge empty—looks like pasta for dinner again!” But I think it would be a relief, every so often, to be able to craft a good line and put it out there without the pressure of further explanation a good blog post requires. Problem is, I figure I’m good for about one of those a week, not the constant stream effective tweeting would require.

Which got me to thinking that it might be fun to host “One Line Wednesdays” here at Running With Letters. I see it working kind of like this: I’ll get us started with a post each Wednesday with the single best line I’ve managed to craft in the intervening seven days –maybe I’ll include the story behind it, but I likely won’t, what with it being One Line Wednesday, and all. I’ll also include one of those cool Mr. Linky widgits that will let you leave a link to your one line post of the week (where you can include the story behind your line, or not—you choose!) Your line can be about anything, as clear or cryptic as you’d like, and who knows—maybe even be true! I may as well just put it out there that I’m not-so-secretly hoping that by setting the bar sort of low-ish, at a single line, I might be able to get my sister, husband, and maybe even Jen blogging again, but that may be too much to expect. It would also just make my week if a whole lot of other bloggers got into the fun and joined us!

In the meantime, keep a pencil and paper handy and jot down that witty one liner that pops into your head this week, post it to your blog on Wednesday, and zip back over here with your link. What do you think? Are you in?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog...or a log...not even a dog, but will stop by with a bit of wit if inspiration will permit.

Icon-1 said...

What exactly do you mean by "Zip back over here with your link?"

Jen said...

I'm in.. do we just leave a comment on Wednesdays?

ballast photography said...

Anonymous...no blog needed, and from your comment it appears you are definitely up to the task--just post your line right in the comments, as usual--can't wait to read it!

ADAD!! Back on blogger...more than I could have hoped for! By "zip back over here with your link" I mean copy the link to your one line post, and paste it back here. With Wednesday's post I'll have a little box--it's a widget called "Mr. Linky" and it allows you to paste your link on a list with other readers who added their one word posts. Then everyone can click around and read everyone else's one liners--in the blogging community, this is typically referred to as a "carnival" probably because it is just for fun!

Jen--comments are appreciated every day :) The One Line Wednesday is just a little something extra to get everyone involved.

Hope this clears things up!

Anonymous said...

Actually, "red and blue make green" really is a great Twitter line since, well, it doesn't. Makes ya think :>) I really want to try a Dirty Chai - think we can make that happen next weekend???? I love you, Sister, and I guess I can try to meet the challenge. Eeek, the pressure!

ballast photography said...

Oh, my!!! PLEASE let's just keep the red and blue makes green thing just among ourselves here, shall we? Please? Because I just might get fired as an art teacher if word gets out. See--not ready for twitter. Must go fix the egregious error...

The Double Dipped Life said...

This sounds fun! I'll have to get creative.

stopping by from sits

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin