Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Bouncing Like Rubber, Not Looking Through Crystal


“Are you excited, Mom?” my son asked as I started packing for my weekend in the mountains.

I wished I could answer in a resounding “yes,” that I was jumping up and down in anticipation for the long-awaited getaway, but I wasn’t.

In fact, after two days of scrolling through screen after screen of leaking rain cloud images that weather.com selected to represent the expected weekend conditions, I was ready to bag the whole thing and just stay home. I just wasn’t feeling up for two days of chilling rain, and the forecast was pretty specific. Not a splash of yellow in the entire outlook until Sunday, and, frankly, I’d had enough rain.

I broached the change-of-plans topic with my husband. Considering his current challenges with general mobility, I figured he was just going to make me happy, anyway. And damp just wasn’t going to do it.

However, my husband cried foul at my attempt to bail, and, in the meantime, Jen emailed me with a kind offer of semi-nearby backup shelter should our conditions become too grim. Excited or not, the trip was on. We pulled off our finally-sunny street and headed off into guaranteed gloom.

I’m so thankful that we did. If we went with the odds and stayed home, I would have missed all this:













and this:



I am so grateful that we took a chance, and glad for the reminder that “guarantees” are nothing more than educated guesses; that life isn’t predetermined and that sometimes the best bet is to go against the odds. It is refreshing to realize that weatherman, doctors, and prognosticators of all fates are simply professionals with opinions and not the final authorities on immutable facts. I’m glad that life is fluid, and that my future is unwritten.

And I’m bouncing-off-the-walls excited that I’m in the middle of a Bigger Journey with an iffier forecast and I have absolutely no idea how it’s all going to turn out –but I don’t plan on missing a single moment of the adventure.

For other stories of simple celebration, head on over to Tuesdays Unwrapped, where every Tuesday is chance to appreciate the gift that is life.

11 comments:

Especially Heather said...

“guarantees” are nothing more than educated guesses; that life isn’t predetermined and that sometimes the best bet is to go against the odds.

Good words.
-H

Unknown said...

Very nice indeed! I tend to be the one distracted by the prognosticators that are in abundant supply. I will think of this post the next time the temptation to "cancel out" or change plans occur. Thank you for this insightful post!

Jen said...

Great post! Glad you had a great weekend! Great pictures!

Unknown said...

I like what you wrote and the photos are outstanding. I miss those fall colors.
L.B.

pcb said...

I am often too quick to 'bail' on a plan because it seems like it might be difficult. What a great post. Thanks.

Kimberly said...

Thanks for speaking truth into my Tuesday!

Margaret Johnson said...

The last picture is my favorite. I love all the colors! Glad you had a fun weekend.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you took the chance and it turned out great. Sometimes we get stuck in the funk and have to be made to make a change in order to appreciate the beauty around us.

Dawn said...

i often call myself the queen of denial... because i don't ever take the weather man's words as facct. especaiily if i want the opposite weather he is predicting. sometimes it works... and sometimes it doesn't :) it looks like your weekend was smiled upon by the ultimate WeatherMan!

Kathleen said...

So glad you had such a special time together. And what gorgeous pictures!!

Life Laugh Latte said...

Beautiful photos once again. I so wanted to be there. Fabulous picture of the two of you. Gosh...you are so pretty. Thanks for visiting us today. Happy Tuesday! Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin