Pages

Monday, November 16, 2009

An Appealing Proposition



File this post under: atypical.

I don’t typically devote entire posts to kitchen gadgets.

And staging a photo shoot with my trash before I toss it? Again, not generally how I roll.

So a post about how I’m throwing away an old apple peeler isn’t the norm here at Running With Letters.

But it seems that’s exactly what you’re reading. So what’s really at the core of today’s temporary lapse in format?

Simply put, it’s Thanksgiving and there’s no shortage of things about which to celebrate. As part of the festivities and general frivolity that I will be hosting in both my online and structural homes, I am sharing with my readers the opportunity to join me in a purging of the inadequate apple peelers certain to be lurking in many of your drawers because one of you is about to win this top of the line apple peeler and corer.

How can I be so certain of the plethora of sub-par peelers out there? Because of the oh-so many with which I have struggled during marathon peeling events with my kids, post-orchard visit or pre-Thanksgiving. Ranging from hopelessly gnarled to downright rusty, my peelers have generally been flimsy facsimiles incapable of withstanding more than a half dozen pies or a few quarts of applesauce.

I was going line them all up for a group shot—a sort of who’s who of bad cutlery—but it seems the sole specimen pictured at the top of the page was the last one standing. I was originally going to toss it in with a huge collection of items headed off the Youth Challenge Thrift store later this week, but closer examination revealed a suspicious substance harboring in a hard to reach crevice, so I don’t think there’s another Thanksgiving in this one.



So let’s just start fresh, shall we? I’m expecting my new gadget any day now. I’ll run it through the some stringent Thanksgiving rigors, let you know how it performs, and then give you the chance to have one shipped straight to your house if you like what you see.

Sound appealing? I thought so. Tomorrow we’ll return to our regularly scheduled programming.

10 comments:

Lee said...

Sounds very appeeling. Yes, I spelled that wrong on purpose.

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

I was just thinking about kitchen drawers a few days ago, when I was looking for my melonballer. I thought about my mom's and grandma's kitchen drawers and how it seemed they never threw anything away. They had things I couldn't even imagine what they could be used for, and a lot of promotional give-away items for stores that went out of business thirty years ago. It was like a little history lesson in a drawer.

Unknown said...

I've never owned an apple peeler! I need to get with the times! Count me in!

Raoulysgirl said...

I have always wanted (but could never justify getting) an apple peeler/corer!!!

Sounds awesome!!!

Kathleen said...

"at the core" and "appealing"? You crack me up!!

I want to win this time!!

Life Laugh Latte said...

I think you should buy a few 3-4. Because if you only have 1...you won't get any help. It's the perfect thing for guests or kids to help with. Holly:)

The Blonde Duck said...

It's like watching an Alton Brown episode! I feel so informed.

A dutch oven is a heavy, cast iron pot.

Mixed Reflections said...

This is extremely scary. It looks like something I would hurt myself trying to use. This is why I stick to the simple stuff: like boiling water and turning on the microwave.

Holly Lefevre said...

I have 5 peelers and a corer/peeler gadget that is still in the box. All in all I end up using the one that is OLD - my granny had one just like it.

Living4Him said...

Just realized my kitchen drawers are a bit out of control...time for me to purge, too. Thanks for sharing...such a blessing to read and laugh with you.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin