Pages

Sunday, November 01, 2009

NaNoWri NO ...for Me Anyway

This is SO not the post where I tell you that I've signed up for National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWiMo, as it's affectionately known. No, the annual, epic write-a-thon where participants aim to pen a complete novel from zero to 50,000 words in 30 November days is a feat on which I must pass.

Attention issues and perfectionism aside, I'd have to apply for a complete renaming of the event to National Novel Writing Three Weeks--a moniker, I might add, that does not work itself into any kind of catchy abbreviation--due to our family's annual week of Thanksgiving, during which my house becomes wonderfully full and gloriously busy.

But enough about me--I know that some of you out there HAVE chosen to tackle this challenge, and I love to hear about it. What led you to take the plunge? What are you hoping to take from the experience? Will you be blogging about it? Please, do tell...I'd love to be inspired by your experiences.

11 comments:

Kathleen said...

I look at the NaNoWiMo website from time to time. I fleetingly toy with the idea...that's it.

Unknown said...

I'm sure if you would have taken the challenge it would have been a great read. I heard about it for the 1st time this year but have no idea as to how long 50,000 words would be, how much time must be devoted to the task, etc. And you are correct, this is probably not the best month to begin such a project: we have Confirmation, Christmas shopping to complete so the relatives can take home with them, Thanksgiving, choir concerts, etc...

Anonymous said...

Follow your heart! Make dreams come true!

Jen said...

Btw, the mention of thanksgiving makes me very excited.. is there any day between Wednesday and Sunday when you might have room in the full house for an extra visitor?? ;) I wouldn't need any sleeping accomodations just a slice of great pumpkin pie and cool whip! - And some fantastic company.

Helene said...

Wow, that seems just a little bit daunting!!

ballast photography said...

Polly--That was sweet--thanks for your vote of confidence. 50,000 words represents a MAJOR time commitment...my 1st YA novel was aprox. 61,000 words and I measure the time it took to write that in years, not days. If i ever were to take on a marathon month-long writing project, it definitely wouldn't be around the Holidays! Maybe we should team up and host our own challenge, say, in the summer sometime :)

Jen--YES! Let's definitely make plans.

The Blonde Duck said...

Kudos for taking it on! I bet you can do it!

Life Laugh Latte said...

No...not for me. Maybe someday...but not now. Thanks for stopping by. Holly at lifelaughlatte.blogspot.com

Holly Lefevre said...

I would love to take on this challenge, but I am passing too. I just saw your comment...a summer time challenge would be great!

Holly

Unknown said...

A summertime challenge may just be the ticket! Still....to pen 50,000 words is terribly daunting. I struggle enough to try and write my little old blog! But, then again, one never knows unless one tries!

Unknown said...

I need to look at the site. I keep hearing about it, but I'm too scared to try.

I, too, would love to hear others' takes on it. Seems like a lot. Especially in a holiday month...but could be very fun!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin